We’re a workers' organization. the way we see it, when candidates run for office, they're basically applying for a job working for us — the people they want to represent.
That's why we invited candidates to participate in our political engagement process by completing a ten-question job application. The questions were solicited from Working Washington members, and include at least a few which everyone probably recognizes from job interviews over the course of their working lives. (The questions are listed below.)
We encourage our supporters in Yakima to review the applications provided by the candidates for Yakima City Council. Ratings from Working Washington members will be considered as part of our endorsement process in those races in which we make endorsements.
Candidates for Yakima city council, district 2:
jason white (did not return application)
Candidates for Yakima City Council, district 4:
keith effler (did not return application)
Yakima Job Application Questions
1. What would you say is your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness?
2. What are the best & worst jobs you’ve ever had? Why?
3. Why is this position a good fit for you?
4. What makes you the best choice for workers in this race?
5. What do you think is the single biggest issue affecting workers in your area? What would you do address it?
6. Describe a specific situation where you took action to support workers fighting for their rights. What was the experience like, and what did you learn? Bonus question: tell us about a time you engaged with workers with Working Washington.
7. What would be your top single priority if elected to this office? How would you define success or failure on this issue?
8. What can you do in this office to resist attacks by the Trump administration on the rights of low-wage workers, who are disproportionately women, people of color, immigrants, and LGBTQ?
9. What can we, as the people of Yakima, do to establish better human relations among our citizens?
10. What can Yakima do to protect the rights of all the people who live and work in the city?